Monday, June 20, 2011

Gypsy Pirate.

I style that I've liked for quite a while now and interpret in my own way is what I refer to as 'Gypsy Pirate'. I would say it's quite similar to the Bohemian trends that have been recognised and been steadily popular for about the last five years now. Whilst it takes similar cues to the Boho style, for me the 'Gypsy Pirate' differs in structural elements as well as the overall styling through accessories. 

For me, when I think of bohemian, I tend to think of a lot of soft draping and oversized, large scale prints, mismatched prints and bright colours. While this is very stereotypical of the trend and it has been interpreted in many different ways and refined to what is referred to as 'Boho-chic' it still tend to return to these central elements. 

Mary-Kate Olsen of Weeds


Mary Kate Olsen,  Rachel Zoe and Nicole Richie have all become 'icons' of the Boho-Chic trend.

The Gypsy Pirate is different in I think of it as having more structural elements, or at least combining structure with, and almost contrasting it against the loose draping of Boho style. Say a tailored jacket over loose, draped pants and chiffon blouse or draped dress. 

Accessories in this trend make me think of the 'Gypsy' side of it, lots of almost mismatching accessories that contrast against each other, the gypsy's collection of rings and necklaces collected and sometimes stolen from all the different places visited, all thrown on together. To be pulled off correctly it takes a fine eye to make sure they're still harmonious together and that it doesn't just become dowdy. 

I love hats with this style, a good felt bowler or even a military beret or sailor hat just seems to tie it together so well, again if pulled off right. 

Bellow are images that I feel reflect the style in one way or another. It's hard to quiet put this exact style into words, as I think it is still very much evolving from the Boho-chic trend. That's what I love about both Bohemian and this Gypsy-Pirate styles is that they can be interpreted so differently that they last for longer than a season trend because it stays fresh and people continue to interpret it in their own individual style. 

For me when I'm interpreting this style I take more masculine inspirations from Johnny Depp and even back to Boy George and then combine that then with the feminine Bohemian inspirations. 













No comments:

Post a Comment

Darling, you're the cat's meow.